View Single Post
Old 01-26-10, 11:39 PM
sauerwald

Bikes: Bianchi San Remo - set up as a utility bike, Peter Mooney Road bike, Peter Mooney commute bike,Dahon Folder,Schwinn Paramount Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gracehowler
While we are talking saddles, how many of you guys ride leather? I rode a parsons for years when I was young, loved it. Now experimenting with the new designs, currently use BG, but seriously thinking of going back to leather?
R
I am a big fan of the brooks saddle. I have three bikes with B-17 saddles on them. I ride a fair amount (I don't own a car), and I do several long rides (Probably 10 centuries per year). I very rarely have sores on my butt, even after doing 500+mile rides. Having said that - that is me. I know others who have tried leather saddles and they have not worked for them. The principle of a hard leather saddle is that after a few hundred miles, the hard parts of your butt soften those parts of the saddle that they contact, while the parts of the saddle that are supporting your soft parts remain harder - the net result is that the saddle forms to your butt, to make a saddle which is great for YOU. Trying a test ride on a new saddle, or on somebody elses saddle, will tell you nothing.

Work with your LBS on fit - part of a proper fit is to have the right saddle, and they should be able to help.