View Single Post
Old 01-27-10, 04:41 PM
fastev

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sstorkel
BF member Psimet2001 builds great custom wheels at extremely reasonable prices. He's a one-man shop, so lead times can be long but the results are worth it.

I'd go with a 32- or 36-spoke rim (maybe 32F, 36R?). Psimet likes Kinlin rims and after buying a set, I can see why. I'm also a fan of Velocity rims, particularly their off-center (OC) rims for the rear wheel. I used a set of Synergy OC rims when building wheels for my touring bike and was amazed at how even the spoke tension ended up being on the rear wheel. OC isn't a requirement for a strong wheel, but I tend to think it helps improve longevity. The only problem with OC is they don't make very many models.

I'd spec brass nipples all around, a 3-cross lacing pattern for the rear wheel and whatever cross pattern you want for the front. I'd use 2.0/1.8mm double-butted spokes (e.g. DT Swiss Competition or Wheelsmith Double-Butted).

Shimano Ultegra hubs are known for being bullet-proof and are reasonably priced. The only downside is that they're also relatively heavy. The noise from a Chris King rear hub would drive me crazy, so I'd pass on them. Phil Wood makes good hubs, but they'll probably double the cost of the build and are overkill for most applications. DT Swiss makes good hubs, though I'd probably stick with Shimano myself...
I'll second this. I just got my Psimet-built wheels last night. I went with 24/28 DT Comp spokes, brass nipples, XR-300 rims, and White Industries hubs. They are absolutely beautifully built, and I have no reservations at all about their durability. I am 6', 200-205lbs and Psimet felt that these would be plenty strong. One thing to keep in mind is spoke availability. I know that if I ever needed a new spoke it is as close as any LBS. I've been using White Industries hubs for years, and the newest iteration, H3 rear, is VERY nice. I think it is quieter than past models, and it's very robust. And the price is very reasonable too...