View Single Post
Old 01-27-10, 10:57 PM
grwoolf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CdCf
I don't think spending many hours in a seat on an airliner is any different from sitting for several hours on a bus or, for that matter, in front of the computer for hours and hours (which I and many others do).
It is actually a little different at altitude. The air pressure is lower (even with a pressurized cabin), and the air is very dry. Dehydration is a big problem when flying.

Originally Posted by CdCf
Moving about in an airliner, especially one flying over areas where severe turbulence is common (through jet streams, for example) is probably a greater risk factor than DVT, since you could end up breaking your neck against the cabin ceiling in the event of a turbulence incident. When I fly, I remain in my seat throughout, with the safety belt on, and I recommend everyone else to do the same.
Do you have any statistics around serious injury from turbulance? I've flown many millions of miles (it's part of my job), and I wouldn't be suprised if more people get injuries from turbulance than experience DVT, but I'd guess that most of those injuries happened with the seat belt light on, and they are seldom serious (I don't have stats either, just a guess). I've only been a couple flights in all my years with turbulance that would really throw a person around the cabin to cause life-threatening injuries. On those flights, we had plenty of warning and believe me everyone was strapped in before the bad stuff (during which most of the plane was crying and praying). What I do see all the time are people that completely ignore the fasten seat belt sign and move around during mild turbulance, which results in a possible injury, especially if the turbulance gets worse.

Sorry if I come across as argumentative, I just think your advice to stay seated at all times is mis-guided and it's better to get up and stretch your legs when you have a chance (just like the airlines recommend).

The idea that endurance athletes might be at higher risk is certainly interesting. I'll definitely make more of a point to stay hydrated and stretch my legs in the future.