View Single Post
Old 01-29-10, 05:09 PM
DX-MAN
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
For ANYone in the industry to trivialize a bicycle as a 'toy' is irresponsible and wrong. Less knowledgeable, less experienced riders, as well as potential riders, will be jaded by this attitude, to the detriment of us all.

It's true that the bicycle is a transportation device, a people-mover, a vehicle in its essence; its use outside the 50 reflects that. But...

"THIS is the BY-GAWD U S of f'n A! We're the greatest country in the WORLD, and we don't hafta function on less like the rest of 'em!"

As long as this attitude is in existence, we will be marginalized as players with toys. Never mind that we cyclists, utility riders and car-free folks have chosen this as our form of transport -- it's perceived that we HAD to, not that we WANTED to, or that we're just a little loony.

To the knee-jerk drivers out there -- your next of kin will see me pedal by your funeral procession after your fatal heart attack or stroke. And they'll get irritated, too. After all, they're grieving, and I'm playing on my toy.