View Single Post
Old 01-30-10, 11:17 AM
raybo
Bike touring webrarian

Bikes: I tour on a Waterford Adventurecycle. It is a fabulous touring bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 53 Posts
Quality of library across the US?

Lots of us use libraries when we tour.

On last July's tour through Oregon and Idaho, I used libraries a couple of time to access the internet, get local information, and research upcoming route sections. I discovered that not all state/counties maintain their libraries at the same rate.

Here in San Francisco, the library system is fabulous. It is supported by its own small bit of the sales tax and has a huge collection of printed, audio, video, and internet resources. It is, by far, the best library system I have ever used.

The library I visited in John Day, Oregon was in bad shape. It was hard to move around given all the unsorted piles of books and such. Also, there was only 1 computer terminal that allowed access to the internet and it was in use.

The two libraries I used in Idaho (small town Crouch and and medium sized city Rexburg) were much more attractive with plenty of computer terminals and well stocked and organized books.

I realize my experience is limited to these few visits.

Since many of us have used libraries throughout the states at various times, I thought it might be nice to get some feedback on different library systems as a guide for all of us.

Ray