View Single Post
Old 02-01-10, 12:52 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Latest Confession

Because I have really unique feet (very flat, long and narrow) there are very few shoes that fit. In fact I'm still using the same cycling shoes I started using 8 years ago-they were pretty cheap but have done the job but are getting close to giving out plus it's just so hard to find something that fits my feet.

Anyway to the confession. My current shoes have the strap across the top of the foot with the ratcheting buckle. They were called the Ergo model. Most cycling shoes are probably made that way now. For the first 2-3 years I always struggled with getting the strap tight enough across the foot (the big strap closest to the ankle). I'd feed the strap through the top of the buckle, push the strap across the foot to tighten it and also pull the strap extending out of the bottom of the buckle to try and snug it up-but that was cumbersome and never seemed to work very well-plus I was forever gettin uneven tension on both feet.

One day I was beside a fellow getting ready for a ride. I noticed that he lifted up a little lever on the ratchet on the side of the shoe and ratcheted the strap tighter bit by bit. In fact it made a nice clicking sound with each ratchet. That looked pretty smart!! I looked down wondering if my shoes also had similar levers. Much to my amazement and embarrassment there it was. Been there the whole 2-3 years.

I had convientently forgotten about all that until I got my new shoes in over the weekend.

So Newbies, there is no such thing as a dumb question. But there some of us Dumbies out there that have learned on our own.