Old 02-05-10, 11:10 AM
edwong3

Bikes: 2023 Zizzo Liberte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 46 Posts
cbinfl,

You could of course go the other way and instead install an 11-32 7 speed freewheel. It's only $25 and will give you not only a higher top end, but a lower gear as well for tough climbs.

http://www.cycle9.com/c9store/electr...-11-30-t-p-136

If you go this route, you might want to ask a bike mechanic if the stock derailleur will work with the large 32 tooth cog on this freewheel. Chances are it might as looking from the Nova's photos, the derailleur has a long cage which is a requirement for handling large cogs in excess of 28 teeth.

According to Sheldon Brown's gear calculator, you should get 26.9 to 78.1 gear inches with this cog set vs 30.7 to 61.4 stock.

Too bad "Urbanis" who got rid of his Nova because he couldn't deal with the stock gear range, wasn't informed of this option. Oh well, he must be enjoying his new Dahon Speed P-8

Edward Wong III
Qile Duo 5 Speed 20" Folder

Originally Posted by cbinfl
A question for Tangsheungpak, or anyone who can help. Where did you obtain a a 53 tooth chain ring for your 'Nova" ? Brand name, model #, or internet source would be appreciated. Is it a simple bolt on replacement ? I think it would be just what I need for a little more top end. Would the chain need lengthening ? Using the SB calculator it looks like my 7th gear would become 6th and down the line. As I stated above I don't use any gear below 5th here in flat old Florida ... This might be the easy / best approach. Thanks for all info.

Last edited by edwong3; 02-05-10 at 12:34 PM.