View Single Post
Old 02-07-10, 02:10 PM
Herbie53

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz
Don't flip the stem. It will make the bike look fast but you will be uncomfy on long rides. If you aren't racing or don't care about impressing the crowds, skip it.

I don't flip mine, I care more about being comfy on a long ride. Besides, ride time and fitness will make a much more difference in speed than flipping the stem.

Matter of fact, I switched the drop stem to a rise on my climbing bike. Better for those 12,000 ft climbing rides. Allows the rider to sit more upright for better breathing. Watch a Tour De France video, the best climbers aer upright while climbing. That's because it allows for better breathing. As a Clyde, do you want to hunch over more than needed while restrciting air flow? Nope!

If you want aerodynamics, shave your legs!

Rise stem for better breathing while avoiding the backache, what will get me through the 114 miles and 12,000 ft, looking fast or efficient breathing?
Not gonna argue that one should flip a stem just because it's fashionable, but I think it's a bit of a generalization to say more upright is always better. Really depends on the specific geometry of the bike (how tall is the headtube / how much drop) as well as the geometry and flexability of the rider.

Got a fit done a bit ago and they swapped my stem for 1 cm more reach and went from +6 degree (rise) to a 0 degree one (I can flip it and nothing happens except the label is upside down). Used to get a sore lower back and numbness in my hands, now I've never been more comfy on my bike. Fittings are a good thing.