View Single Post
Old 02-07-10, 02:57 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by carrefour
Rollzone, you are in the same situation as me, which means that you need a dynohub charger indeed. The only question that is still open in my opinion is whether your IPhone follows the USB standard or not. If it does, then you can charge your Iphone with a batterypack or a Pedalpower toy or the DIY charger which I referred to in my first post.

You can test this easily yourself. But to be safe first check your official IPhone charger. What is its output? 5V, 500mah or less? If yes then you can try the following : Connect 4 NiMH batteries (rechargeables in series). You can do this in one of those little batteryholders that you can find in any electronics shop-they cost less than a dollar. This will give you around4.8V (4x1.2V) or slightly more. A freshly and completely charged NiMH can potentially reach 1.4V, but after 1 day this will definitely be down to 1.2 or 1.25V, so then your are always safe. attach a nini-USB cable to it. Make sure you connect the + and the - correctly. Just google "mini USB wiring". If you get this wrong you may fry your IPhone. But if you are sure you connected it correctly, then plug it in and if it shows it is charging then you are ready for the pedalpower or the circuit I mentioned. No need to worry about the data wires in the mini USB connection. Just leave them out. All you want to do is supply electricity.
The only thing that may be a pita is if your IPhone does not use a standard connection cable, but uses some Apple specific plug. But I'm sure you can google that down.
PS : I just received my LM2940 regulators today, so I will build my first charger very soon.

Not sure what the issue is. Iphones will charge when connected to USB. You can take the 6v generator, connect it to a full-wave rectifier, connect a 5.1 v zener (and a capacitor) across the output, and have pretty smooth 5.1 volt source that will charge the iPhone. To run the iPhone when the bike's stationary, have a battery instead of the capacitor. Might not need the zener here; I'm not sure if the iPhone input has a series diode or not. It probably should ...

You just need to look at what happens at high running speed, if the zener or the rectifier will heat up.