Old 02-09-10, 11:55 AM
Breathegood

Bikes: '09 Gary Fisher "Kaitai, '09 Raleigh Team", '91 Trek 8700, '97 Cannondale SR500, '12 Raleigh Twin Six

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been spending time on my trainer the last couple of weeks with the intention of preping myself for E-Rock this year. I don't know if I'll sign up or not, but for now, that is my plan. I've done the metric and the century. I live in Castle Rock just a couple of blocks from the fairgrounds, so I either plan to ride that day, not leave the house, or leave town the night before. Parking and traffic are a nighmare, and getting in and out of my neighborhood is virtually impossible. It may sound silly, but the smart riders camp out at the fairgrounds the night before. The ride itself is great and very well supported. Like superdex suggested, skip the first re-fueling station if you can stand to. It is by far the most crowded and hectic since it is shared by the most coarses. The roads and scenery are awesome. I think the metric century is about the ideal ride. The extra 40 miles on the century don't offer anything different or better than the first 60 except fewer riders. The only reason to go 100 is to be able to say you did it. Get an early start to beat the wind, heat, or afternoon t-storms. Pace yourself because it's not like riding a single pass where you ride up and up and up and then coast down to the finish line. Every time you enjoy a good downhill, the next climb feels even bigger than the last. I don't know if Rollercoaster Rd is included in either of the big coarses this year, but it is definately a challenge and will suck the energy right out of you. If you're prone to cramping, Rollercoaster Rd will be your nemisis. Otherwise, the first climb (Lake Gulch) and the last climb (Tomah Rd.) are probably the most daunting.