Old 02-10-10, 08:12 PM
reversegear

Bikes: Steve Rex, Santana

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
I know that, because I regularly run 140-145 PSI in tires on 120 PSI rims.
As someone who has experienced three front tire blow outs at speed in the last three years I believe you might change your mind about that the first time it happens to you on a twisty road with oncoming traffic.

We tend to put more distance on our stuff than most people do, so I think that we do experience stuff that rarely happens to other riders.

I know that Carbonfiberboy and Tandemgeek will write at length about the advantages of running narrow tires at high pressure. To each his own. Maybe that is the way to go for you too.

Homeyba likes narrow tires on his tandem too since anything wide won't fit that Calfee of his.

I would like to offer an alternative. You can run a wider lightweight tire such as a Grand Bois 30 or 32 with a lightweight tube and not get pinch flats. With a lightweight, wide tire, rotating weight is as low or lower, so acceleration is as good or better than a narrow heavy tube and tire set up, necessary for the high pressures and safety. It may be due to the taller sidewall that even with the lower pressure and heavier team weight I very rarely get a pinch flat.

Of the three front tire blowouts, one was a Continental Gatorskin 28 wire bead, one was a Panaracer Pasela 32, and the most recent was a folding Gatorskin 28. The Gatorskins both blew out after or on steep twisty descents. The Panaracer blew out on the Santa Ana River Trail - flat - no braking - no clue as to why. Might be due to the fact that the Panaracer had a lot of miles on it???

I have found the Grand Bois 30's to be fast, comfortable and reliable with lightweight tubes. We are a relatively heavy team and I do not think we have pinch flatted in the last year.

Some have reported these tires to be less durable. I think that is true. While I would not consider them to be mileage monsters, they will be my next tire purchase. By the way, they very well may be the most comfortable tires out there and have a low rolling resistance on rough roads. Hate to sound like a commercial, but that has been my experience.

As a respected PNW blogger, Dr. Codfish, likes to say, your results may vary.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Blowout.JPG (21.8 KB, 35 views)