Old 02-13-10, 07:57 AM
Jonah Pavesco

Bikes: Cannondale ST400 1989, Peugeot Iseran, Miyata Sports Ten 1984

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Side-pull versus center pull brakes

As indicated beneath my username, I'm a noob and admittedly so. I humbley ask the gurus here: is there an advantage to having center pull brakes instead of side pull? I bought a low end Miyata sport ten to ride around while I work on building a Peugeot Iseran. I didn't notice when I bought it, but the pads are rubbing against the rim. Yes, the tires definitely need truing, I can tell just by watching them spin. But the side pull callipers just don't seem to center properly around the tire. One arm seems to set on one side of the wheel and eventually rubs against the rim, a problem I've had before. Should I go for center pull brakes? Will I avoid this problem with them? Are there any other advantages or disadvantages I should know about with center pull? I appreciate any input on this. Thanks.

**I've been looking over Sheldon Brown's Glossary and I'm getting the feeling that center AND side pull calipers are relatively troublesome, somewhat outdated and cantilever brakes are the modern, more commonly used brake system. Am I on the right track here?

Last edited by Jonah Pavesco; 02-13-10 at 08:05 AM.