View Single Post
Old 02-13-10, 11:54 PM
Plainsman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 30 Posts
jetta - First, congrats on making it this far! You're almost there! Now, as far as the run is concerned...I think you are running too frequently. That may be the biggest issue right now. I (while not a coach) would not recommend running 6 days a week for a triathlete. While training six days a week is doable, you don't want to stress the exact same muscles in the exact same way day after day. Even if you are not running 6 miles a day, I would say your legs still need a breather. It also helps to think about your overall training in phases. You would typically start with a base phase (easy), then build, ramp up to your hardest workouts as you close in on race time, and then a taper. If you go hard all the time you aren't going to give your muscles time to recover, you will most likely see poorer times, and you risk injury.

Finding a good plan and sticking to it is definitely the way to go. As far as building you run goes, an important thing to consider is that you can work on speed, endurance, or both, depending on what types of workouts you do. If you run less frequently and shift your focus to the type and intensity of the run I think you will see improvement. What are you doing bike and swim wise in addition to the current run schedule?

Last edited by Plainsman; 02-14-10 at 07:28 AM.