View Single Post
Old 02-14-10, 10:41 PM
DanRH 

Bikes: Da Vinci Joint Venture 700 Tandem, Volagi Liscio Carbon Single, IF Steel Crown Jewel Single, Lemond Fillmore Fixie, Ritchey Breakaway steel single, Bontrager hardtail MTB Single

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rode Rice Valley Today!

and met up with a couple BF.Net tandem riders, sprinter and rdtomki. We actually all grouped together at lunch at mile 64. It was actually a 95 mile century that was sparsely supported. Since not many chose to do the century (actually we heard there was a total of 120 riders for the whole event, including the 100K route), we saw no SAG vehicles at all. Not sure if there were any. Also, for the century there are only two rest stops, one at mile 34 and lunch at 64. Enough I guess for us but I feel I was starting to hit the bonk today for the first time ever right before lunch. After lunch I felt great.

The ride up to lunch was pretty for the first 15 minutes of it, then BORING! Century riders head out and do a 34 mile loop and then hit start finish for a rest stop. I didn't eat enough obviously. I've also been experiencing a racing heart when I ride which has me quite disturbed. I've gotten tests and so far, they can't find anything. Probably riding a century when I don't know what's going on is not a smart thing, BUT I feel fine and we did the ride with no problems.

At lunch Rick (sprinter) ID'd me first. Him and his lovely partner (not sure if they're married). They have done over 50 doubles on the tandem and did the 508 last year in 38 hours. AWESOME!
Then rdtomki (Rick and Cheryl) came up and we had a great lunch together. One thing about this ride, the food was great! Sprinter and his lovely stoker headed out on their Calfee (nice bike!). Rdtomkit (Rick and Cheryl) and Kath and I head out to finish the ride together. It was great chatting with them and made the ride end quicker. Weather was very nice but cool in the morning at 39 degrees (we headed out at 7:30) and ended up being 65. Nice day of ridig and chatting and riding with other Forum people! All in all, nice ride. There we quite a few tandems.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rickcherylricevalley10.jpg (82.5 KB, 30 views)
DSCF3542.jpg (61.1 KB, 26 views)
BFTandemgroupRiceValley.jpg (99.5 KB, 36 views)

Last edited by DanRH; 02-15-10 at 11:05 AM.