Old 02-16-10, 01:29 PM
andrewxcastro

Bikes: 1963 Schwinn Varsity (Green)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmo
That's not a cassette, it's a freewheel.

A freewheel includes the ratchet assembly. When you replace a cassette, you're only switching the cogs.

If you have a squiz at that diagram, and in particular at the extreme crapness of the placement of the right-hand bearing in the freewheel hub, you can see why cassette hubs (except Campagnolo ones) are much better.

In fact, it's prolly a worthy upgrade to find a nice old rear wheel with a 6spd cassette hub and make some Hyperglide cogs fit.
----------

oh ok, so if i want to replace just the cogs then, cause thats what sounds like is causing my problem, do i just purchase a new cassette and attach it to the freewheel? i mean i thought it was just that the cogs were worn out and thats why the new chain was slipping on them? please remember im a little of a newbie at the bike mechanics and parts. i appreciate all the help and patience.

ill tryn take pictures of the two rear cassettes i have with the hubs and see if maybe that helps with describing my situation.

also, you said i could get one with a 6 speed cassette on it... i was looking into seeing what i need to do if i got a 6 or 7 speed cassette and "adapt" it to my 5 speed? that might be a whole new thread entirely though...