Old 02-19-10, 09:07 PM
Tentacle Master
46 bikes and counting...

Bikes: 1992 Trek multitrack 700 sourgrape with red decals, 1992 Trek multtrack 700 (with 1" threadless conversion), 2009 jamis Aurora Elite, 2007 Jamis Cross Country 2.0, 1981 Trek 613, 1980's Fuji "Redlof" folding bike, Iron Horse AT-70 with 48cc motor....

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
TM's 2010 list of Touring Bikes!!! *Updated 30 July*

ITS BACK!!! AND BETTER THAN EVER!!!

version 0.82 (frames page under constriction)
Update 2/20/10: Added the GT Peace Tour
Update 7/30/10: Final update, added lots of stuff

Since my 2009 list of touring bikes was so well received i have continued.... to create this years list of latest and greatest touring bikes.

First I'm sure its not all the touring bikes. I've included a separate page dedicated to frames. Also I have included links to the manufacturers page for each model (click model name) as well as links to the manufacturers home page (click brand name)

These 25 touring bikes (and other bikes requested to be added by the community) are those specificly labeled as touring bikes by their respective makers, or labeled as accetable touring alternatives by the touring community. Yes, its true you can tour on any type of bike, but for those who wish to purchase a bicycle for the puroses of touring I recomend, well a touring bike. Please check out the frames page for a list of frames.

When ever a # column follows, these are the rankings of the components/price of the previous column. I have pre loaded the ranking columns so you can get a feel of how it works. These current rankings (except the price and gear difference columns) are my own opinion so please feel free to use your own. I was looking for a touring bike that was a steel frame, disc brakes, STI shifters, and preferably mountain bike components. Currently I DO NOT trust my judgement on rims. Rim qualitywas based soley on price of the rim.

If you find I have made an error please post it here. If you think I should add another bike please post that too. If you think how I judge touring bikes is stupid I don't want to hear it and neither does anyone else.

The list includes:
Brodie Elan <--new
Bruce Gordon BG BLT <--new
Bruce Gordon Rock & Roll Tour <--new
Cannondale Touring 1
Cannondale Touring 2
Co-motion Americano
Co-motion Nor'Wester
Co-motion Pangea
Devinci Caribou 1 <--new
Devinci Caribou 2 <--new
Fuji Touring
GT Peace Tour
Jamis Aurora
Jamis Aurora Elite
KHS TR-101
Kona Sutra
Masi Speciale Randonneur
Norco Cabot
Norco Fraser (Kwest Touring is no more)
Novara Randonee
Novara Safari
Opus Legato <--new
Opus Largo <--new
Raleigh Sojourn
Rocky Mountain Sherpa 10
Rocky mountain Sherpa 30
Salsa Casseroll
Salsa Fargo
Salsa Vaya <--new
Schwinn World Tour DLX <--new
Surly Long Haul Trucker (LHT)
Trek 520
Windsor Tourist

Cross bikes suitable/popular for touring:
Surly Cross-Check
Bianchi Volpe

Bikes are rated/info-given on:
price
brand
model
color
frame material
fork material
brakes
brake type
shifters
front derailleur
rear derailleur
chain
BB
crankset
chainrings
speeds
cassette range
min/max gear ratios (alot of hard work )
pedals yes/no
hubs
rims
min/max size
wheelbase for min/max size(not for all models)
chainstay length
weight (not available for msot models)
...and more

DOWNLOAD EXCEL SHEET .XLS HERE:
http://rapidshare.com/files/409996416/touring-bikes-2010-final.xls.html

Last edited by Tentacle Master; 07-30-10 at 07:25 AM.