Thread: Where am I
View Single Post
Old 04-07-05, 06:59 AM
kf5nd

Bikes: Specialized Sequoia Elite, Schwinn Frontier FS MTB, Centurion LeMans (1986)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You're training in too high a heart zone, as evidenced by your adjectives, below. You're above the aerobic zone, probably. You're using muscle, liver, and blood glycogen as your primary fuel, not body fat stores, and that's why you're hungry; your body is screaming to replenish the glyocogen. Then, when you get home, you probably overcompensate and eat more than you used... that's why you gain weight.

It's easy to do, and common. I do it.

Key is: train with a heart rate monitor, and keep it squarely in the aerobic zone for you. I try really hard not to go above 70% for the majority of the ride, but I bust out with a sprint occasionally. Eat and drink on the bike, and immediately thereafter, enough to stave off dire hunger, but then don't eat beyond a reasonable diet at your next regular meal.

Originally Posted by Wanderer
I busted my butt this morning out on the bike trails. I rode as hard as I could, for the entire loop.... Man was that ever tough, and my legs are really sore. But I sure am hungry....I have run into another problem though, I gained a pound (the scale is back up to 190,) even though my pants and shirts continue to stretch.