Old 02-21-10, 06:51 PM
mwysen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some designs...

Thought I would update everyone on these. I have some 3-d models, but no camera to take pictures with (new battery is in the mail). Any input would be greatly appreciated. I know some of these seem to ignore some of the comments people have posted here, but they have developed out of my design criteria and input from my professor and class, as well as local bike enthusiasts. Pardon the quality of some of the sketches.

Simple design for a slap-bracelet type light, mostly for safety purposes.

Here are a few sketches of similar concepts/ different aspects of the same idea.These replace your current grips; they house batteries inside handlebar, has front facing white lights on inner-side of grip, and has flashing/solid red LEDs housed inside a slit through an aluminum hemisphere on bar ends. Solves the problem of integrating the front and rear lights onto one switch (red lights on bar ends stick out so they can be seen from both sides and from behind, while the aluminum protects them from being damaged in case of a drop. The appearance could be made so they do not look too far from plain grips, and an allen set-screw could be used to lock them in, helping protect against theft and keeping them from turning on the bar.

Two ideas for safety lights that could be integrated into the seat or seat post. Could be activated by weight of rider, then have an auto-off after a minute or two (eliminates lights turning off when you stand up on pedals while riding. Some problems include: fat asses/clothing hanging over the LEDS and blocking their visibility, or riders who have their seats so low the lights in the seat post would not be exposed. Charging could be done by removing the whole seat using a quick-release, possibly using a USB connection.

Fits over the stem and has a bendable light head, attaches using silicone bands, similar to design of the knog frog. Can also be attached in a variety of other places since head is bendable.

(Pardon terrible sketch) Pedals replaced with lights; downward facing white lights in front, and red safety lights in back. Battery clips on and off, weight of battery pack keeps pedals correctly oriented. Battery also tapers so that it is somewhat protected in event of a fall or dragging pedal on sharp turn. (gets thicker as it gets closer to centerline of bike)

Another silicone rubber body light, stretchable arms enable the light to be mounted in various places, using any combination of rubber arms. Perhaps more of a safety light than anything else

Let me know what you think. Again, sorry If I didn't meet any of the requirements you had, but I'm trying to work to please a wide range of people right now as well as develop something new and innovative. Also, I am not an electrical engineer, nor a manufacturing cost estimator, so suggestions having to do with price or complex electrical components are not really up to me...