x136 
phony collective progress

Bikes: http://velospace.org/user/36663

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sjhiker
1) Can this ride be done on a hybrid? I've done 20-30mi rides already and don't have too much discomfort. It is a tank compared to my mtn bike, but I wouldn't dare try 100mi on road with a mtn bike.
Hell, you can do whatever you want on whatever you want. I was riding with a guy for a while during the Giro de Peninsula a few years back that meant to do the 100k route, but grabbed the wrong route sheet and ended up doing the full imperial century... on a full suspension mountain bike with knobby tires.

2) What LBS (I'm in SJ) would you guys recommend that I visit if #1 requires a new bike? Also, while I have plenty of experience test riding/buying a mtn bike, I don't have the faintest idea of how to test ride a road bike.
I can't give you any specific shops, but at whichever you end up, tell them your concerns, and I bet they'll be able to help you out and give you pointers.

3) Are there any bay area websites that would have good routes that I could use for training?
Not Bay area specific, but you can poke around on Bikely, Map My Ride, Ride With GPS, among others.

Good luck!