View Single Post
Old 02-22-10, 11:58 AM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by j3ns
On the contrary I think it would be very possible to research. Just compare the percentage of cyclists using high-visibility clothing to the percentage of injured cyclists using high-visibility clothing. I would be very interested in the findings.
I do understand that it is common sense that more visibility helps. But how much in percents, or injuries per cycled miles, or something else concrete? Does false security play a role in this matter? Do we act more recklessly or trust the drivers more if we have our vests on?
One problem with such a study is that there are lots of other variables involved. The cyclists who wear high-vis clothing are likely to vary in other respects from those who wear darker or more regular clothing. I'd expect more of the high-vis cyclists to be club and recreational riders who have lots of cycling-specific clothing. OTOH, transportational cyclists are more likely to be wearing their regular clothes instead of some flourescent yellow jacket or brightly colored jersey.

Observed differences in injury rates would therefore not only be a measure of the effect of the clothing visibility, but also a result of different riding styles, locations, times, etc. It would then be very difficult or even impossible to decide how much of the difference in injury rate is the result of the clothing visibility and how much is due to other factors.

But the high-vis clothing is clearly effective in letting the rider be seen from a greater distance. On one ride on a foggy day I was riding some distance ahead of the group wearing a yellow jacket and a friend wearing blue was behind me. When the trip leader caught up she mentioned that she had seen me from a long ways off but hadn't seen my friend until later even though he was closer.