View Single Post
Old 02-22-10, 03:32 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5766 Post(s)
Liked 2,538 Times in 1,404 Posts
I doubt you put it out of line while working on the flat. It's possible that it got mis-aligned while riding with the almost flat tire before you noticed it. Or if it's only slightly out of line it's possible that when you repositioned the wheel it went back slightly to one side or the other and now rubs.

Step one, loosen and reposition the wheel with the bike on the floor and held straight up, letting the wheel find it's home spot, then retighten the QR or nuts. (If you have horizontal dropouts, you might have to hold it centered between the chainstays).

if that didn't solve it, and the total side to side wobble is less than 1/16" try re-centering the brake. If the wobble exceeds 1/16", consider having it re-aligned or DIY if you feel up to it. Here's a helpful site if you want to get started aligning your own wheels. My advice is take it slow and stay within your comfort zone.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.