Old 02-23-10, 04:48 AM
mmeiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Been further looking at your site.

Yeah... it's a cool site. I didn't realize journal entries aren't just yours.

It's similar in nature I guess to crazyguyonabike. I assume this site predated crazy guy though?

Anyway, love the journals, but yes, there's definitely still a lack of means to browsing them.

To reiterate.

I see three forms of content on the homepage:

1) tips
2) articles
3) journals

I do think it'd be find to leave these separate as is. But at the very least these three forms of content each need.

1) an rss feed

2) a way to browse them in reverse chronological order

3) good search means... or even better a tag or keyword based browsing means.

Quick question, are you using some sort of open source software or did you code this site yourself?

If you coded it yourself it shouldn't be to hard to ad keywords to tips, articles and journals. You could then selectively use those keywords as navigation.

For example right now you have this (please don't take this the wrong way) obtuse search that is sort of complex and clunky. I.E. I can select to view journals covering a certain country and 80% of the countries will return no results. When you add in the four other variables you can see that 95% of all possible search queries will return no results.

By switching to a tag browsing, or tag cloud approach you can direct people to places where there are good results.

In summary, upon further inspection, while you might consider some more creative customized solutions you could still use a blog systems like wordpress or moveable type to accomidate the journals.

The big question is do you intend for this site to compete with something like crazyguyonabike.com... in other words, do you intend to be a technologist and keep evolving the code base.... or do you want to simply focus on the content and leave the technology up to others... in which case you really should find an open source solution.