Old 02-23-10, 12:39 PM
RedC

Bikes: Trek Navigator, LeMond Buenos Aires, Madone 5.9, S-Works Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tardman91
Thanks for all the advice guys. Looks like I'll be going with the Shimano pedals in the near future. Now I just need to find a good pair of compatable shoes on sale in size 14 (49 in bike shoe sizes I believe?). It'll be a couple of weeks, because after buying the bike, shorts, helmet, computer, air pump, water bottle, water bottle cage, and new bike rack for the truck my bank account needs a little rest. Either that or the bike and me both get burried in the back yard after my wife kills me. I had no idea how much money this bike would make me want to spend.

Look for a bike shop where you can try the shoes on. Pedals and clips can be bought online but shoe sizes and fit vary all over the place and if your shoe is uncomfortable to start it won't improve. Your wife will feel better when you feel better and the more you ride the better you will feel.

The saddle is another issue. I went through several (I think I'm on number 5 now) and my buddy kept saying "just ride more" At 300 to 400 miles my butt was killing me somewhere over 1000 miles it quit being a problem. I did two centuries in December (slow centuries over 7 hours on the saddle each time) and while I ran out of leg, my seat was not the problem. I bought my road bike in November 08.