View Single Post
Old 02-24-10, 04:08 PM
hshearer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Those are some good sensible ideas. I think planning my routes better is probably the key to success for me... never assume there will be a sidewalk, and know how to get there 'the back way'! Yeah, I far prefer taking the lane when the situation calls for it, but I'm nervous about doing it with the trailer, since I figure it sort of limits my ability to ditch if I have to (in crowded, but fast, traffic, I'm mostly worried about the car behind the car behind me). Good to hear you've been successful with that... maybe I'll give it a go.

I actually live right at the top of the hill by the Victoria bridge... I'll say hi if I ever see you waiting there with a trailer! Meewasin trails are also a big favourite of mine, but only in bad weather (they're too crowded otherwise, and I'm too fast in summer ). How fast do you go down Victoria? Any trouble with control and braking on that steep of a hill and with a load?

Yes, I use studs... went for the Nokian extremes front and back this year on a mountain bike. They've been great, very solid feeling. Last year I managed with only a studded tire on the front of a hybrid bike (700C tires). It was good for improving my bike handling skills, I guess, but I prefer the better control I have this year with my 'tank'. However, I think last year was tougher riding, too, since the ice ruts were deeper... what's your thought on that?

Last edited by hshearer; 02-24-10 at 04:19 PM.