View Single Post
Old 02-26-10, 03:46 PM
doggy

Bikes: 2005 Specialized Roubaix elite, 2009 Specialized Allez, 1993 Marin Limited edition, Giant Allegre, 1999 Cannondale T700, Bianchi campione del monde, 1993 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Juha
How cold is it where you ride? This can happen if grease in the hub is too thick for the cold weather. The pawls inside the hub are stuck and don't engage so the cassette spins freely every which way. Temp fix is to bring the bike inside to let it warm, but if this is a recurring problem, you should apply thinner lubricant. See this Icebike article for details.

I'm not sure that can cause the other problem you described though, where your bike essentially becomes a multispeed fixie. I've had that happen to me once, but that was because one of the bungee chords caught rear wheel and jammed between cassette and hub. Pretty much what Jeff Wills described above.

--J
'
Hi, thanks for the reply. I have a feeling that this is exactly what is going on, as ive inspected the rear cassette, and it seems so gunky and grimed up that the cassette wont spin at all without some decent pressure. I havent maintained this wheel AT ALL for the entire winter, and lately its been especially snowy. Hopefully its just gunked up and not a devastation, as i happen to like these shimano 105 mavic cp22's.

I need to find a cassette remover now.

Thanks!