Old 02-27-10, 07:26 AM
enfilade

Bikes: Kona Cinder Cone 09

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cross fibre massage for Quadriceps tendinitis?

The solution is to mechanically remove the excess scar tissue.

One theory I learned at the Brian Utting School of Massage comes from The British Dr. James Cyriax. Rubbing the scar tissue perpendicular to the tendon fibers, breaks only those scar fibers that happen to lie perpendicular to the tendon, but only strums those fibers that happen to be parallel. After applying "cross fiber friction" a number of weeks, the remaining unbroken scar tissue lies flat with the tendon. Because those fibers left unbroken are the fibers that lie parallel with the tendon, the scar tissue possesses 100% of the original tendon strength. The textbook treatment includes two minutes of cross-fiber friction as hard as you can stand, tears coming to your eyes. This would be done no more than two or three times a week, followed by ice. I used this method on many people but found they wouldn't continue treatment-it hurts too much. So instead of painful rubbing, I now use an Ice Cup. Since I switched to ice treatment instead, I find many more people continuing their treatment at home.

How To Treat Your Own Tendinitis:

Put water in your freezer now, so it will be ready tomorrow morning. Freeze the water in a little yogurt cup or 6-8 oz. paper cup. Tomorrow, when the ice is ready, pop the ice out of the cup and hold it with a hand towel, to catch the drips. Use not the flat surface, but the edge of the ice to saw perpendicular across the tendon at the exact site of tiny scar tissue lesion. Chill an area no larger than the size of a dime.

Ice yourself no longer than five minutes (watch a clock or set a timer!) or until numbness, whichever comes first. (You may check for numbness by removing the ice, dragging a finger lightly over the area to see if you can still feel it.) If you ice more than five minutes, you will give yourself frostbite-I have done this to myself and believe me, you don't want frostbite. Ice only for five minutes. When the feeling comes back in about five more minutes, you may ice again. You could ice up to six times over one hour while you watch a TV show.

Ice at least once a day, until your pain is gone and your strength is back to 100%.
http://ezinearticles.com/?Heal-Your-...tis&id=1106944

Anyone tried this? I'd like to hear whether it helped.

Last edited by enfilade; 02-27-10 at 12:03 PM.