View Single Post
Old 02-28-10, 03:15 PM
Plainsman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by forkicks
Thanks for the help guys. I went to another shop the other day and the took a look at the Bianchi Via Nirone7 2300 & the Scott S60 does anyone love or hate these bikes. I'm beginning to believe that the only difference between bikes in this price range is color scheme. I'll take the pretty blue one
To a degree, there is some truth in that

IMO, many of the entry-level offerings can be very similar. If you are looking for a bike to use an all-arounder (not just for tri), a solid starter road bike is a sensible way to go. If you are thinking this will be a pure triathlon machine, a used tri bike might be a better deal. For the conversation's sake, let's assume you are looking for a road bike, and all the bikes you are considering are about the same price.

First, take a careful look at the component specs. If you aren't sure what some of the parts and pieces mean, feel free to post them here. Does one have full Sora, but another uses Tiagra? There are plenty of men and women here who can help you sort that out. If one stands above the rest as far as level of components are concerned, that could be your winner.

On the other hand, if they are all about the same, go for the pretty blue one! Seriously though, I would never buy a bike I didn't like the looks of. Don't discount that. If you buy one you just love to see, you'll likely be more inclined to ride it. The opposite probably also holds true. For what it's worth, my first roadie was a Trek (blue!). I still ride it, and it has been virtually bombproof.