Old 03-01-10, 09:15 AM
Homeyba

Bikes: Colnago C-50, Calfee Dragonfly Tandem, Specialized Allez Pro, Peugeot Competition Light

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by deep_sky
...Also, it depends on the century. I could do a century in the central valley no problem. But I can damn well forget the century ride that my club puts on every year. 10k feet of climbing. Unless you are quite fit and have some experience to help carry you through the mental hardships, you are simply not going to be able to do that, no matter how much your mind wills you to.
My very first century was the Grizzly Century (98miles/10,000ft of climbing). I did it three months after getting my first bike with hardly any cycling fitness riding a 20+yr old 7speed Peugeot with toe straps. I had no idea what 10,000ft of climbing meant (I do now). I started early and was the last rider to finish but, I finished! I think you are making my point...

Originally Posted by deep_sky
Mental fortitude is extremely important, but also having a realistic view of what your body is physically capable of also helps you be able to work your way towards your goals without getting too discouraged, burnt out, or sidelined because you pushed your body too far too fast and it broke down on you.
It's not just being able to ride through the typical highs and lows of long distance riding. Knowing what your body is doing part of the mental aspect of it. If you are out there pushing your body past it's limits it doesn't matter how fit you are, you are done. You have to be able to pace yourself and measure your effort in relation to your fitness. It's all mental!