View Single Post
Old 03-02-10, 05:24 PM
maxine

Bikes: Airborne Carpe Diem; Trek 520

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reading between the lines (and based on snippets of other conversations/posts I've had occasion to be party to) I think that what Bob has in mind is sort of a "rando club without all those nitpicky Randonneurs USA rules" deal. I think it might be possible to get something like that moving in the Baltimore area. I would bet that there are folks up here who would be inclined to participate more often in something like those informal, no-rules century rides that Crista and Chuck of DC Randonneurs put on every weekend -- if they didn't have to schlep down to DC/Virginia for the ride starts.

I agree with the thought that in considering recreational roadies who consistently ride long distances (as opposed to the more typical go-fast guys who do one or two "special occasion" century rides a year), you're talking about a real skinny slice of an already-not-too-big pie. It might not be able to support its own weight as a separate organization. I think it would be better to at least start off under the umbrella of an existing club, and the BBC is (nominally, at least) the biggest in the area. And I think the BBC does (or did once) have some sort of semi-official, semi-subsidiary-clubs -- there was a group out in Howard County, I think.

And here's another thing, Bob: the editor of the BBC newsletter is a Personal Friend of Yours. ; If you write up some promotional propaganda, I'll get it published. Dedicated sections on the BBC Web site (on the forums, and maybe elsewhere) might be useful, too, although the club management may decide to hold off on some of that until some interest has been demonstrated.

I would think about other avenues of reaching people, though. I agree with Harry that a lot of your target riders may not even be BBC members, or may not be particularly active ones, because they may not be into what they might perceive as the typical "bike club vibe."