View Single Post
Old 03-03-10, 10:43 AM
Dan The Man

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AlanKHG
Weight-wise I'm 6' and 155 now and probably will drop a few pounds once spring comes on, so staying under or very slightly above 200 lbs. shouldn't be a problem. I'd reckon my goals are:
-pretty fast crossing, at least in unpopulated areas
-comfortable in the sense of a bike that fits and a tent that keeps me dry enough
-cheap enough, but not so cheap that I'll end up spending more to get out of a jam in the middle of nowhere
Stove isn't absolutely necessary on the highway. If you want, get a Trangia cookset for $25 or a pop can stove and the smallest pot you can find with handle chopped off. Use aluminum foil for a lid.

For a tent, you might like the Hennessy Hammock. It is around $150 or cheaper and weighs under 2 lbs. It has its advantages and disadvantages. Some people love them. There are lots of reviews around. I wrote one here

For a bike, I would take whatever road frame fits you, is cheap, and has rack eyelets. Not many frames break on a paved road. The only problem with shorter road bikes is the clearance for your heals against panniers. If you ride a larger frame this will be less of a problem I think.

Spokes are the most likely thing to break and biggest hassle to fix because they always break on the rear cassette side. Don't get the thin anodized spokes. Go for beefy and well trued.

Last edited by Dan The Man; 03-03-10 at 10:48 AM.