Old 03-04-10, 01:31 PM
buckeye25osu

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Schwinn Le Tour for $40 on local CL. Thoughts?

Hi, I'm looking for a decent road bike. I don't ride much, but I am looking for a good road or hybrid bike. There is a bike for sale near me for $40. It's the Schwinn Le Tour and looks to be circa 1974 or so. The guy states it needs "restored" but doesn't appear to have any major flaws. I enjoy fixing things up a bit so that's not too big of a deal and considering the price I'm willing to take a gamble. I'd just like to know if anyone has any opinions or if this would be more of a headache than its worth. The only real concern i see is the bent piece that connect from seat down to rear wheel. Here is the information:

"Super cheap, need money. Lugged steel frame, says "Made in Japan", All LeTour components: Crank arms (3 pc) say LeTour, as does the rear derailleur. The brakes and hubs (high flange) say Schwinn, and the rims are Araya. The bike appears to be mostly if not completely original, and needs a COMPLETE restoration. The seat stay on the right side has a slight bend, otherwise it's a very solid frame. Super tall bike, has a 35 inch standover. Cheap $40"

He also said this over email:
As for rust, it has surface rust here and there. Flaws? The rear chain stay is slightly bent, I put a picture of it and described it on Craigslist. The bike needs restored. A new chain, some spokes, tires, bartape, etc. I tried to price it accordingly. Thanks!

Last edited by buckeye25osu; 03-04-10 at 01:35 PM.