Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by BigBlueToe
I read journals for a couple of reasons. Number one is doing research for possible tours. I especially appreciate them when I've settled on a route for my next tour. Then I try and scan every journal which describes passing through my route. Number two is just for enjoyment.

I like pictures. I usually don't bother reading a journal with no pictures. Sometimes I skip the text altogether and just look at the pictures.

When I'm researching route I really like descriptions of campgrounds, restaurants, grocery stores - all the services one needs. I like descriptions of the roads - shoulder, no shoulder, rumble strips. I like pictures of campgrounds. I don't care so much about descriptions and pictures of bed and breakfasts or nice hotels. The odds that I'll be able to afford such luxuries on a long tour are pretty slim.

I like stories about good bike shops.

I, for one, do like a record of daily mileage. When I read the account of a day's ride and know how far somebody rode, I get a feel for how strong of a rider they are compared to me, and some insight on whether I can do the same leg, something longer, or something shorter. I like to know the date. One of the factors in planning a tour is weather during the time frame you have available.

I like good writing too. I like interesting stories about fun people doing fun things. I like heartwarming stories with kids, dogs, true feelings, etc. A tour can be an intense slice of life, and most of us like to read about multifaceted people doing something interesting.

Lastly, I create my journal primarily for family and friends. If strangers like what I post, great, but that's really much of a concern.
+1000

You've nailed it.