Old 03-08-10, 11:07 AM
GirlAnachronism
Bulldozer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tadawdy
The idea in limiting fat is to keep digestion fast, keeping the glycemic index high. Fat slows emptying from the stomach, but liquid meals empty very quickly. So, having some low-fat chocolate milk works. You're generally looking for something at about 4:1 carb to protein, while minimizing fat. Also, if you're eating 20g of protein, that's 80g of carbs, and you're around 400 calories without any fat. 400 calories of the ice cream in the OP will give you 21 g of fat, and much of it saturated. To get 30 grams of protein, you've got to eat 650 calories of ice cream, giving you 35 g of dairy fat. Then, you've got plenty of fat to slow digestion.
I went to a sports nutrition for athletes talk the other night, and asked the nutritionist about eat nuts after working out (my question was aimed more at weightlifting but I think it's relevant here). What she said confirmed what you're saying, which is that fat is not good for recovery as it slows digestion and makes it more difficult for your body to get what it needs from what you're eating.