Old 03-09-10, 03:28 PM
chancho

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Erratic shifting on rear derailleur

Hi everyone,

I've been having trouble shifting my rear derailleur lately. I recently replaced the chain rings, cassette,
chain and rear derailleur. It was fine for a while but now I can't get it to shift correctly.

When I shift to a larger cog I either shift too far or not far enough. If I push the shift lever all the
way over (to the left), the chain will actually move over two gears. I've spent plenty of time adjusting the RD
with no effect--I'm starting to think that the problem must be with the shifters themselves. It seems
like I just can't add the right amount of tension to the cable when shifting--I add either too much or
too little. What ends up happening is that I end up somewhere between two gears and the chain
skips back and forth between them.

Does this sound like something anyone has encountered? The shifter is a Shimano 105 and I've been
using it for years, never had this problem before. I'm not extremely experienced adjusting the RD but
I find it hard to believe that I absolutely can't get the chain to cleanly get to all the gears while on the
stand.

Any help is appreciated.