cyclezealot

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by finnyfinfinbar
Thanks to all for the replies,

Cyclezealot - Thank you for clearing up the 'style' question. I will be carrying the minimum required to be healthy, clean and somewhat comfortable. Electronics will be at a minimum. I plan to complete a circuit of the globe; not in any particular order/direction as yet; not at any particular speed. If I'm tired I'll stop. If I'm still tired and aching the next day, I won't ride - I don't see the point in doing something that isn't pleasant, it's counter productive. If there are things that I want to see in a hurry, I'll hitchhike with my bike. I have no set rules, I'd only break them if I did so I'm trying to be realistic about it all.

Nancy sv - I'll take a look at your site later. If you are still traveling then 'bon courage', I will be there soon!
. Circling the globe is an ambitious goal, I'd like to claim.. On the trail, I've encountered cyclists who share your goal.. It took them years to plan for such..I recall she said, they were planning on taking a GPS and solar cell operated laptop. Crossing Asia is for the sturdy. I recall them saying, mapping through the "Stans', and east of China to be difficult because it's a wasteland. What ever , you'll need sturdy gear and remember crossing the Gobi desert is not a piece of cake.. You are determined, you'll do it..
Think If I were you, i'd look into a more relaxed touring bike, get a professional fit.In my case a round the world trip would merit top notch gear.
Should you find a touring bike comfortable, couple things I'd remember..
1. Your routing about the globe. You just might need an all terrain bike, cause those roads can get pretty primitive. 2. You'll need something with a solid reputation , reliable components, sturdy welds. Think brands I'd consider would be Bruce Gordon, Co-Motion , or Litespeed. One can't go around the world on the cheap.

^ Since January 1, 2012

Last edited by cyclezealot; 03-10-10 at 05:06 AM.