Old 03-10-10, 06:27 PM
Torchy McFlux

Bikes: NOYB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dnewnham
My Allez Double Steel has a Shimano 2300 crankset with 52/39T chain rings. I would like to upgrade to a Shimano Ultegra FC-6500 39/53T mainly because it looks a lot cooler, and perhaps could save a little weight. I have a few (possibly dumb) questions:

1. What exact type of Octalink bottom bracket will I need to buy (thread type and shaft length?)

2. As the large chain ring has one extra tooth, will I need to move the forward derailleur up to make room?

3. What type of crank puller and bottom bracket tool/s will I need?

4. Will there be any issues with alignment between the new chain rings and the 8 speed cassette that I might need to deal with?

Thanks!

Dale
1. The same thread type you have in there now. What that is, I don't know. You'd have to tell us. I believe that Specialized used English threaded shells on all their bikes, but I'm not sure. Spindle length should be 110mm for that crank.

2. Maybe. If you're replacing the crank, the derailleur will need to be completely readjusted anyway. May as well just do it.

3. Standard crank puller that has a splined-crank compatible side or adapter will work fine. BB tools will depend on what you've got now (you haven't mentioned) and what BB you choose for your new crank. If you get a matching Shimano BB, a very common 20-tooth splined tool is all you'll need besides a wrench to spin it.

4. No, but you should re-adjust all the derailleurs afterwards.

Last edited by Torchy McFlux; 03-10-10 at 06:50 PM.