Old 03-12-10, 12:06 AM
cleanupinaisle3
.;/.,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by miamimike
Hi. Living here in a south florida(miami) Condo and being on the BOD(board of directors) AND A Bicycle owner, I can tell you this:

1) For Starters, there is no such thing as an "unofficial law" banning bikes in the elevators. Do they ban wheelchairs?? If its an enforceable Law, it will be in the Rules and Regs and/or in the Condo Docs which govern every Condo issue. Whether its this Condo or any other future condo you go to and they tell you this, ask them for a Copy of the Rules/Regs or the Condo Docs clearly identifying the law prohibiting bikes in the Elevator or whatever else they claim is a law about anything condo related. I transport my Bike up and down at least once daily in our elevators. I am careful not to bump the elevator walls, doors ect as not to give anyone reason to complain. What your potential condo board is concerned about are a bunch of teenagers putting their bikes in the elevator and damaging the unit in all probability. This is understandable as elevator repair and maintenence is VERY Costly. The moving doors especially and these seem to be damaged the most. Since I am on the board, I also have access to the 1st floor Garbage Room where our dumpsters are located and at times I chain my bike up in this room, which is locked and secured. Many times there are utility rooms, electrical rooms on the ground floor as well as on the other floors. Try and talk with a board member and explain your situation. Maybe even offer to take responsability for maintaining the cleanliness of one of these small rooms(or some other area of the condo building) in exchange for the storage of your expensive bike. They be amenable to such an offer, I know as a board member I would be. Go in with the "Jar of Honey" approach and don't be confrontational as they will shoot you down from the Get-Go. Another idea, you may offer a board member, in exchange for bike storage, you could from time to time go to the hardware store for needed supplies or even Police the Grounds for discarded cans or bottles on a weekly or on a as needed basis. I know as a Director, if somone approached me with these offers, I would seriously consider it. Good Luck and remember, not all condo boards are the same.
Awesome. Thanks for the advice, Miami Mike. This is a new condo so unfortunately there is no board yet (I know they tried to have a meeting on Monday but not enough people showed up so nothing precipitated) so at that point I suppose that there is literally no official or unofficial ruling on anything as of now, and no one to discuss/enforce it. I suppose until they do raise it as an issue with me, it'll be fine, and once they do, I'll definitely try to be as amiable as possible.

But I will definitely see if I can get a list of official condo rules/regs, as I am viewing a few more units tomorrow.

Thanks!