Old 03-12-10, 11:40 PM
Seagull01

Bikes: 08 Giant OCR C2, 05 Specalized Hardrock Sport Disk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well for me, the "best" camera is my Olympus 790-SW. The 790 is out of production now, but the "Stylus Tough" series lives on. The "SW" stands for "shock proof / waterproof". At the lower end of this series the cameras are waterproof to 10 feet and shock proof to 5 feet. I have tested this marketing claim, my 790 is something I always have on hand in my boat. I have taken the camera down 10 feet free diving, and it has been dropped on the sidewalk.

The top end of the series claims to be waterproof to 33 feet and shock proof to 6.6 feet. They are also freeze proof to some insane low temperature, and crush proof to over 200 pounds.

For a pocket size point and shoot (as well as 720p video) camera that does not have a lens that protrudes from the body - the Olympus cameras are really good.

The picture quality is not the best, and the low light performance really is not good at all - but I think that the waterproof trade off is well worth that. I do not expect professional results from a point and click camera anyway.

If what you want is a simple to use, compact, and light weight camera that you can take anywhere without worrying about protecting it from the elements - check the Olympus out.