View Single Post
Old 03-14-10, 06:35 PM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I decided some time in January this year that I want to start touring. This was a direct result of becoming an all weather, no-matter-what commuter and enjoying riding a loaded bike and deciding to spend more time on my bike, going car-light, etc., plus reading these forums; the posts here really ignited my desire to hit the road with loaded panniers

I seem to be on track to do some 2-4 day trips stating April. My bike should be ready in a few weeks, I just need a lighter tent, sleeping pad and sleeping bag. In the beginning I'll be buying food as I go, no cooking, no hauling large amounts of food to keep it simple and I'll be hoping between State Parks to make camping easier.

I really don't think you need a very long time to prepare for short tours. If you've been riding a bike actively you should be able to do at least 40 miles a day. Planning an international trip may take a year, but short tours shouldn't be that hard to prepare for. At first I was even going to tour on my commuter bike.

Also, my wife expressed some interest in short bike tours so that may delay things a bit as we'd need a bike for her and some extra gear. I just picked up another 2009 Kona Sutra 49cm (complete bike) for her on Craig's List today, but it'll need about $300 worth of modifications. So it all quickly adds up.

I'm also hoping for a couple of weeks long trip around NY State in Summer.

I'm just itching to do this. And yeah, preparations, trying to make things perfect can ruin the fun. I hiked around NY a lot for the last couple of years and some of the best hikes were the impromptu ones when I picked a random location, got up early on Sat and just drove there without even getting food or anything. Just grabbed my boots, shorts, camera, Camelbak and off I went. I bought food at a deli by the roadside.

Adam