Old 03-14-10, 09:46 PM
jay0k

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mzeffex
Wat.

Sounds like a fun race though, good luck on the next one.
Slow start. They had us line up at 10:00 AM but didn't start until 10:30 or a few minutes after. Temperature in the 40's and cloudy. Everyone was cold so a couple older guys went to the front and set a reasonable pace for a couple miles and nobody complained. I sat between 3rd and 4th wheel.

The hairpin turn 'lacking' is talking about is where the race really started (about 3-4 miles in). I went into that turn slow (I knew there was gravel on the outside) and hammered out of it. I was at the front. Bunch the field up and then make everyone scramble/sprint to get back on.

At this point the race ramped up fast. I attacked several times to wake my legs up but didn't commit allowing myself to be caught. Nobody was anxious to pull so I spent quite a bit of time at the front. Attacked on the first significant climb. Caught a few minutes later on the downhill afterwards. I have a habit of attacking climbs hard and then easing up on the downhills thinking I'm going fast enough. I need to keep at it downhill. I did this one more time with same result.

Enter the HK climb. Tough hill but all and all not that bad. I found it fun. The really steep part was short and sweet. I'll take that any day over a 5 mile gradual climb into a 25mph headwind. This hill was enough to shatter what was left of the pack trying to hang on. We passed a few shattered 4's. One guy was puking his guts out. Another standing in the middle of the road hunched over handlebars.

A small group of us finished together. I'm fine with 4th but really wanted 1st. Uphill sprint to the finish and there were some 4's OTB in the middle about 100m out. They didn't get over. After dodging around them we had a photo finish. One thing to note is that it's not 20 miles. It's 19. I actually planned on attacking the last mile so was surprised to see the finish.

Keep at it 'lacking'. That's a tough first race. I hope to see you at the NWA Classic in two weeks.