View Single Post
Old 03-15-10, 10:48 AM
Stig O'Tracy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nedlam
Hi I have been into cycling for a while, but i did have a break for a long time.
Now i am back into Commuting to work to build up the legs. I have found that i have been getting tired legs. Its still only been a few weeks and the legs muscles are very tight. I think this may be a reason behind it.

A week ago i entered a 40Km ride with a few hills, as the legs were tired i walked 80-90% of the hills. I had done this ride b4. Last time following a group that got lost and taking us up huge hills. To then go down and realise we missed a turn off, going buck up the hill.

Is there any way of getting muscle tightness out or any one have any other sugestion?
I did have some one tell me its medical, but as i took my son to the Docs today i asked and he said give it 6-8 weeks if no maybe longer.

The commute to and from work is realitively flat, i'm maintain average of 26-28kms with 15kms to and from work.

Cheers Dean
I started riding about 3 1/2 months ago, and though I found my conditioning improved quickly, I still frequently get times of tired legs, or get sore if I do a longer/harder ride. I think that part of it is age, it's just going to take more time to get into decent shape then when I was younger. As others have advised, give yourself some rest days as needed. Don't forget to hydrate, stretch, and do some other activities. I do find cycling to be somewhat one-dimensional in how it works your muscles.
BTW how is Adelaide? I was there way back in 1988 for several weeks on a project at the RAAF Base. A great town, had much fun as a young engineer on the road. I stayed down in Glenelg (sp?) by the beach and commuted up to the base. Great memories.

As you say, Cheers,
Matt