Old 03-17-10, 06:36 PM
XCSKIBUM
Cantankerous Old Fart

Location: On the Tundra of Northern NY State, almost Canada eh?

Bikes: TBD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Full Suspension MTB for Under $400 (1st Impressions & 1st Ride Report)

OK, we all know this is not going to be a top of the line bike, but for us that are just wanting to give it a try, an "entry level" bike in this price range might just be worth a look.

1st, here are the published spec's.

Available in 17, 19, and 21 inch frame sizes.

-Frame:Custom 7005 Aluminum with coil spring
-Fork: RST GILA 100mm travel
-Chain: KMC Z 51
-Crank set: SR Suntour 48, 38, 28
-BB: Shimano Cartridge
-Front Derailleur: Micro Shift Alloy
-Rear Derailleur: Shimano Alivio
-Shifters: Shimano Alivio 24 speed Dual Index Trigger Type
-Brake levers: Shimano
-Brakes: TEKTRO Mechanical Disc
-Cassette: 13-34
-Rims: 26” Vitesse V-Provile Alloy with Stainless Steel Spokes
-Hubs: 32 HOLE Alloy Sealed Bearing
-Tires: Kenda Nevegal 2.35 Wire Bead
-Stem: Vitesse 31.8 Alloy 100mm 5 deg rise
-Handlebar: Vitesse 31.8 Alloy Mountain Riser 10 deg bend 40mm rise
-Headset: 1-1/8” High Stack Semi-Integrated
-Saddle: Cadillac Custom Embossed
-Seat post: Suspension 27.2
-Pedals: VP Alloy Platform
-Weight: 29.9 lbs (19”)
-Color: Root beer/Black

I bought this bike for $389.99 shipped W/a free helmet & spare tube.

Here's the box that was unloaded from the Fed-Ex truck this afternoon.

After looking the box over & not seeing anything other than the usual minor handling damage, I popped the staples on the top & lifted the entire packaged bike (less pedals & seat) out of the carton. The bike was very well packed W/lots of protection. The front wheel & handle bars were zip tied to the frame W/lots of foam sheet & cardboard to separate the components.

The pedals & seat were each wraped in their own separate packages & were in the bottom of the carton.

I had to look very hard to find a few minor scuff marks on 1 side of the crank arm. Other than that inconsequencial blemish, the bike arrived in perfect condition.

Even though I have never assembled a (new) bike, I was able to accomplish the chore W/O any assembly instructions. All I had to do was pump up the tires, attach the front wheel, handle bars & seat as well as tighten the stem clamp bolts on the steerer tube. a 6mm & 5mm hex key wrench & a standard 15mm combination wrench was all that were needed.

Now I am new @ this modern bike stuff & as such I am not familiar W/all the technical stuff. I am an experienced "wrench" having hot-rodded small block chevies & la block Chryslers as well as Limey bikes & big twin hogs. I've even managed to set some 1/4 mile records in my 2006 Dodge Charger Daytona R/T.

I might not know all the technical bike stuff (yet) but I know quality work. The welds on this bike's frame are top notch, & the paint finish is nearly flawless. All the rear suspension pivots points have (ball/roller?) bearings. The only adjustments I have had to make (other than the obvious handlebar, seat hieght, brake cable & spring prelaod) are pertaining to the Shimano Alivio shifter for the front derailer & the front derailer stops/cable.

Here are some shots of the assembled bike.

Now, about the rear suspension. I am a "Mega Clyde" weighing in just shy of 300# in my skivies. I was able to set the rear shock spring prelaod to 25% travel (3/8") W/nothing more than my bare hands on the shock preload adjuster ring. There is about 1/2" of adjustment threads left on the shock although I have about taken up all the "barehanded" adjustment.

I got to ride it a bit in my hayfields & down the road just a ways. It seems to really scoot along on level or slight grade hard surfaces W/O any noticable pedal bob. The front forks are what they are, inexpensive entry level forks. I cranked down the spring preload all the way on the forks & they also seem to easily support my considerable weight.

I do plan to upgrade to a Fox RP2 rear shock W/Pro-pedal soon. I am watching e-bay for a (new OE) take off & they seem to be going for about $150.

I look to eventually upgrade the fork to something like a Rockshox Recon 351 U-turn W/crown mounted lock out. Again, I will look for a (new OE) take off.

But anyway, I plan to get in some riding tomorrow & will report back.

Oh, BTW, here's the real selling point. The Cadilac licensed head tube badge.

See post # 2 for ride reports.

Last edited by XCSKIBUM; 03-19-10 at 05:59 AM.