I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by noisebeam
There is a very big difference between being an ignorant non-VC cyclist vs. a non-VC cyclist who understands what VC is, the benefits of it and can ride VC. The later then can make intelligent risk based decisions* on when and how to deviate from pure VC riding.

As with learning anything that requires a mix of art, skill, strategy (music, photography, sports, chess, business, etc.) it is often the best route to first solidly learn and practice the fundamentals until they are fully internalized, then as you become an expert you learn how to break or bend the rules within the framework you have mastered.

*This should be understood to allow that a non-VC approach to a specific situation may even be lower risk.

Al
Well put, Al.

I would add that there is also a very big difference between cyclists who can intelligently apply so-called VC principles (i.e. lane positioning and compliance with laws applicable to BICYCLING), and those VC cyclists who "follow," or worse - advocate, a by-the-book "best" solution for all cycling situations