View Single Post
Old 04-11-05, 01:05 PM
Blackberry
In Memory of One Cool Cat

Bikes: Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
As someone who's ridden a lot of miles over the past three decades, I'm not sure whether I'm VC or not. I was never familiar with the term until a couple of weeks ago, when I stumbled onto this forum. So I would imagine, I'm probably not.

I try to ride with courtesy and awareness of those around me. I am very cognizant of the fact that a couple of tons of steel could ruin my whole day, but I generally don't feel intimidated in traffic. There's a little stretch on my commute where it's more convenient to (gasp) ride on the sidewalk for about 100 feet than do a very complicated maneuver at an intersection, so I briefly ride on the sidewalk (I've never, ever seen anyone walking on that stretch of sidewalk). Bike lanes are ok with me. Not having bike lanes are ok with me. I sometimes come to a "rolling stop" at a stop sign and keep going, but I almost always wait at traffic lights, even when there's no traffic. I guess I'm just a crazy mixed up 50-year-old. On the other hand, I've never crashed. At least not yet.