Old 03-20-10, 03:21 PM
Walter
SLJ 6/8/65-5/2/07

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 7 Posts
Handling advice

I've been on a bike for a long time but I could use some advice for 2 situations. First is definitely race/pack riding related and the second is not but it's even more frustrating and I'm definitely willing to listen.

Essential introductory remark: I suffered a severe brachial plexus injury some time ago and my left arm is largely paralyzed. Many nerve and 1 muscle transplants have given me my left pectorals and bicep back but limited (very) triceps and I can really only curl my left fingers around the bar tops but no real grip. (A surgery scheduled for July might help with that).

So few if any of you can directly relate but you've got a lot of saddle time and perhaps some ideas I haven't thought of.

#1 While riding at a fast pace I have a hard time holding a line on "sweeping" right hand turns. In fact during a training race I went so wide I scared myself and dropped OTB on purpose. I would've been there anyways but I'd rather get beat if you follow me.

#2 I have a real hard time executing slow 180 degree turns within the space of a "normal" road. This is mental. I start the turn and then, as often as not, when I see the curve I either bail out of the turn or clip out. This situation is not the end of the world but it is extremely frustrating, especially when I remember how comfortable I was doing dumb stunts "back in the day."

Thoughts?