View Single Post
Old 03-22-10, 05:26 AM
skiffrun

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by raydog
SO, for yesterday's century I rode with the following gears.....front=52t, 42t and rear=12t thru 27t (10 spd). I DON'T CARE WHAT THE RACERS I TRAIN WITH SAY, I MISSED MY THIRD FRONT CHAINRING! I just don't understand why some say, "you don't need that granny gear". I ride with people that have $5000 bikes with double front rings. Are they so much more powerful than me that it's just not necessary?...
Most people suffer from an affliction whereby they think that all other people have at least the same physiological make-up that they do. The likelihood of said the infliction appears to be directly correlated with abilities of the cyclist.

In other words, the better / stronger the cyclist, the more likely they are to not understand that others may not be physiologically blessed equally with them ... and as a result, they give you advice that works for them, never even having a glimmer of understanding that what works for them may not work for another.

The most "amusing" of these folks are the ones that parrot "oh, I do understand", and then give advice appropriate for about 5% of the cycling world.

Last edited by skiffrun; 03-22-10 at 03:56 PM. Reason: grammar