TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Getting started is hard to do

Oh the trauma... I used to ride a lot, had an old Bianchi steel frame from '92 that I upgraded from shimano rx100 DT shifters to ultegra 9 speed STI. back in '98 or so.

Acquired an old merlin Ti frame 4 years ago, never rode it, and as a motivational present to myself for my 42nd b-day this year, I bought all new SRAM Force build kit and after a 7 year hiatus, 2 knee surgeries from getting hit by a car, 3 foot surgeries from general stupidity I'm gonna get BACK ON THAT BIKE!

So Saturday, I strip the Ti frame down and get stuck trying to remove the BB. It's a proprietary press fit thing, no possibility of using my shiny new carbon cranks, ever. Oops. So I take that bike to the LBS to get the bearings replaced (why not, it's stripped down already anyway) and decide to fire up the old gent... spend a good two hours cleaning, lubing... amazing how much dirt gets in there from sitting still in the garage for 7 years. Moved the cassette over to a new wheel set, pumped everything up and went for the maiden voyage.

Since I was just trouble shooting the rear shifter I did short laps near the house, no seat bag, no spare tubes, no pump etc. etc... the little lever is sticking to the large lever somehow and I thought maybe some use would loosen it up.

Wouldn't you know it, I flatted about a half mile from home and got to enjoy a nice evening stroll with my old bike.

I don't know why I'm such a glutton for punishment, it just feels like cheating to go buy a brand new, all put together and color matched everything bike.