View Single Post
Old 03-24-10, 11:18 AM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
So, you apparently rode road bikes as an infant, then?

(Couldn't resist!)

Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz
24 mm deep 20/24 spokes under a 330 lb guy? I myself wouldn't do it after thrashing 24 spoke wheels within 2,000 miles at 20 lbs.

If I did ride those wheels, I'd take them to a wheel guy to check and adjust the wheel tension. Not sure if Aksiums are handbuilt but I'd have them checked out. Many wheels, even handbuilt lose some tension after 200/300 miles. If they do, they are more likely to break a spoke. Your chance of getting more mileage out of them would be better having them retensioned.

I used a deeper rim while building my wheels. 30 mm Velicoty Deep V. I got 20,000 out of the rim before the braking surface wore down to blister. Still true but not worth the risk of riding. I've read several positngs that a wheel should live for 20,000 plus befor wearing out the brake surface.

I'd say your chances would be better having them checked EVEN if you haven't had an problems yet. Spoke tension may be low and it's not something most riders will notice till it's too late. By then, you've already compromised the integrity of the other spokes and face future breaks.

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant