Old 03-24-10, 09:50 PM
Speedwagon98

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I posted the clif bar challenge video on a wheeling forum...

And the first response I got was this:

Okay, so here is the problem I have here. I have a bike, and I would ride it to places, and I do, but there are some trips that necessitate a car. Try carrying 15+ bags of groceries on a bike. Can't do it!

I used to have a 10 mile or so trip to work (now it's a 45 minute drive in a car...so a bike is out for that just on time) and I would totally do the 20 miles per day on the bike. However, I have a job (for the next 5 days lol) which requires me to be professionally dressed. This does not include sweating profusely after arriving at work in the summer...or any other season. So I can't ride a bike to work. Maybe I could if it had showers, but then I don't do public showers because nobody else bothers to take care of them and keep them clean. Since I'll most likely always be in this industry - riding a bike to work is impossible.

Then we have other issues which involve other people. Mainly the idiots on roads who don't know how to drive. I'm much safer in a car. I don't like riding on the roads, and will try to only ride on more residential streets to get somewhere. Also the idiots who like to steal things like nice bikes make me not want to leave it sitting out much.

When I can, I ride my bike, but that's usually for exercise and I go on bike trails and such. Also I can't see many trips which I could replace with a bike because most trips other than work are to buy things which require carting them home, or going on trips that are longer distances.
Now, I'm not stupid. I knew posting a pro-bicycle type video on a 4x4 forum wasn't going to get the same response as on here. I just wanted to share the video. But this seems like the typical American attitude towards bicycles to me. Would you agree?