Old 03-25-10, 11:36 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 101 Posts
I've experimented with position a lot. A few thoughts crossed my mind.

1. If you are considering adjusting your position, it means that this "new" position is within your realm of possibilities. I'd try it just because. Maybe not for Redlands, but I'd try it. Position evolves as BR points out.

2. I've tried rotating my position forward just before big crits. I've also put on shorter cranks, longer cranks, huge gears, smaller gears, wider bars, narrower bars, blah blah blah. I realize after the fact that I should have tried the position a little more than a day or two.

3. If your bars are too low you see double when you look up. Pinch nerve in neck or something.

4. If you slide saddle forward a lot you end up losing power but gaining speed. I tend to cramp my calves more easily too.

5. Lower bars aren't always better. Longer stem may be more productive. Weight up front is good.

6. Don't put too much pressure in the rear tire. A hairpin turn with a forward-oriented bike can result in some slippage in the back.

7. Know that you can shift from the drops and use your shifters to shift as you corner and as you accelerate.

8. It's virtually impossible to practice a race hairpin turn. Don't try. Just follow wheels on race day. You'll learn within a couple laps that it's not that bad.

hope this helps
cdr